Friday, March 25, 2011

You know when you see your little relatives for the first time since the previous Christmas and it's like they've grown a foot? That's kind of how I feel about Trevor's progression. I leave for a few days and when I come back it's like Trevor's a whole new person! His progress is unbelievable.

I saw Trevor walk, moving his right foot on his own, for the first time this morning. It was impossible for me to get rid of the perma-smile on my face for the rest of the day. He slightly resembles one of those auto dealership blowup guys with his arms and torso swinging all over the place. I think the best part is seeing all of the therapists watch him with the pride and satisfaction of their patient royally kicking ass!

The recreational therapist asked Trevor if he was answering yes or no questions yet. Trevor said, "nope." She then asked him if he loves his mother. He said, "yes." I haven't seen my mom that stoked in a while...

The therapist then informed us that we're going bowling on Monday and that we would be taking the bus to practice using public transportation. This all sounds jolly except for two things... First off, Trevor has never used public transportation in his life and B. he hates bowling. After the therapist was done explaining the bowling agenda, Trevor looked at her like he was going to say something really important, but all that came out was a bunch of gibberish. He looked at us like "Whoa, what happened?"

The therapist told Trevor, "We can either play a sport or do nothing. What'll it be?" Trevor responded with, "Do something." As the crazies of Utah say, OH MY HECK! A week ago, my brother couldn't answer questions with anything that came close to making sense. Today, he can.

When I showed him pictures from my Zion trip, he looked at them and said, "damn" to each one. I showed him the picture of the cabin I was staying in, and asked if he remembered us begging our parents to buy a "lincoln-log house" when we were younger. He went to ask me a question about the cabin, but "Grandpa, grandpa?" is what came out. He thought it was hilarious. I kind of did too.

Out of everything that has happened through this accident, we're most fortunate for Trevor's great sense of humor. I think if I was unable to say what I was trying to the majority of the time, I would probably be really frustrated and unpleasant. But not Trevor! He just laughs and moves on like a champ...

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, you are incredible. Positive vibes and lots of long distance support coming your way.

    ReplyDelete