Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My mom finally gave in and let the 'rehabists' put Trevor on the muscle relaxing medication. They all swear by it, and call it the "miracle drug." I'm hoping they're right and that by tomorrow Trevor is completely back to normal, but I'm not so sure that's going to happen!

Trevor's task during occupational therapy was to bake cookies. Pretty sure I go through a similar experience trying to bake with the 5-year-old I nanny for as the therapist did with Trevor...

First she had Trevor look at the box and tell her how many eggs they needed. He said "four." Wrong! Then she had him crack the egg. He stuck his thumb through the egg, much like every college-aged guy sticks his thumb through a PBR can to shotgun it, and got egg all over his hand. Then he stuck his finger in the half-melted butter and tried to eat it. Pretty much, half of the ingredients ended up on him. The best part is that he took a spoonful of cookie dough, put it in his mouth, chewed it, spit it back on the pan and then mushed it in with one of the other balls of dough.

The physical therapists had Trevor put his arm on a "skateboard," which was not actually a skateboard, and move his arm as far as he could. He could move it about a quarter inch. After doing this a few times, he was exerting so much effort that he was sweating and out of breath. Crazy!

They then helped him walk up the stairs. And by 'help,' I mean that they held all of his body weight up for him. But he was moving that left leg of his!

The speech therapist had Trevor play a matching game on the iPad but he just poked everything on the screen. I think the main issue here is that his fingers are moving faster than his brain is thinking. She then told him to press the 'weather' application, but he just started poking everything again.

Every time anyone would ask him "how are you?" today, he would respond with "just fantastic." He did the same exact thing (with the same exact tone) during the first rodeo.

My Uncle Steve called to talk to Trevor today. I handed him the phone and this is what I heard from Trevor's end of the conversation, word for word:

"No, no, no, no, no, no, uhh, well, if you uh forget to uh, forget to uh, forget to uh, for sure, alright, alright, alright, forget to uh, forget to uh, forget to uh, I dunno, alright, alright, for sure, for sure, alright, well, uh forget to uh, I dunno, uhh, umm, I dunno, forget to get, to get, I dunno, uhh, yeah, alright, alright, alright, I know, yup, yup, alright, alright, forget to, forget to, forget to, forget to, I dunno, alright, alright, alright, forget to uh, forget to get, uh, I dunno, alright, alright, alright, alright, no, haha, hahaha, I dunno, yeah, alright, alright, uh nope, nope, nope, if uh forget to, forget to, um forget to, damn, forget to get, I dunno, sure, nope, nope, alright, if uh, if uh forget to, forget to, um I dunno, sure, nope, nope..."

This was followed by at least 30 more 'nope's and some laughter. When he had enough, he tried to press the Apple logo on the back of my phone several times and then just shoved it at me. I hope that helps you all understand where he is at vocally. Yes, he can say a number of different words but no, he generally cannot use them in the correct context. We pretty much have no idea what his words actually mean unless he is yelling 'nope' while pushing something away.

Last but not least, if one of Trevor's guy-friends could come shave his beard for us, that would be great! My leg hair is getting pretty thick but definitely not that thick, so I think I'd have a hard time...

No comments:

Post a Comment