Saturday, March 26, 2011

To help you better understand where Trevor is as far as speech goes...

He has now said a total of three complete sentences: "I have to pee," "What the f_ck?" and "I want to watch a movie."

The first time, he dragged his right leg off the bed, lifted himself up and put the side-rail down. My mom asked him what he needed. He looked at her like she was dumb and then said matter-of-factly, "I have to pee."

Next, he sat up in bed, mumbled something in Brain-Injurese, immediately looked around embarrassed and said, "What the f_ck?"

Lastly, right before bed, my mom asked him what he wanted to do and gave him a list of options. He replied, "I want to watch a movie."

After each of these miraculous sentences, Trevor kind of looked around like Whoa.. did that really come out right? His speech is very compulsive so everything he says, whether correct or incorrect, takes everyone by surprise.

Trevor is trying as hard as he can to communicate. A lot of times the words do not come out right, but I know that they're in there, that he understands us and that he knows what he wants to say. I am 100% sure that he's going to be fine and that he's eventually going to be able to communicate. It WILL come back. Even though this recovery has taken much longer than the first and even though nobody knows how long it's going to take, we just have to sit around patiently and wait it out. He has so many people rooting for him and I know he's not going to let a single one of you down.

Just breathe, another day.
Another day, just believe.
Another day, I'm used to it by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment