Sunday, March 27, 2011

While in Zion this week, I determined that I no longer believe in science. There are too many unbelievably awesome things in this world for science to possibly be the reason behind all of it. I am now a firm believer in magic. This entire world is completely based on magic. Magic is what makes every animal, plant, mountain and river the way it is. Magic is how Trevor has somehow survived two traumatic brain injuries. Magic is the reason life as we know it exists.

Coming back and seeing the progress of all the patients at the U's Inpatient Medical Rehab is proof of this theory. The doctors and therapists here do not practice medicine. They do not practice any form of science. They practice magic. Some sort of crazy miracle happened here this week and I'm not sure how or why...

When I left on Monday, Trevor could barely move his right leg and definitely couldn't walk. When I came back on Friday, Trevor was able to bear weight on his right leg and could walk with hardly any help.

On Monday, a teenage boy who severed his spinal cord during a wrestling match was paralyzed from the neck down, and had been for two months. His family had just spent $40 grand on a wheelchair that he could control with his eyes. On Friday, I walked into the therapy gym and saw him moving his arm with the biggest smile on his face.

A father of four small children got into a car accident, was in a coma for a month and was in a wheelchair unable to walk on Monday. On Friday I saw him walking down the hallway hand-in-hand with his wife.

Earlier this week, a woman who had a stroke five days after giving birth was unable to hold her own baby. I walked past her room on Friday and she was rocking her newborn to sleep.

...Magic!

3 comments:

  1. wow, is about all I can say. Tears welling up in my eyes. what an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by magic, she means God. Definitely God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is amazing and he is working his miracles right in front of your eyes!

    ReplyDelete