Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hiking 20 miles in the beautiful canyons of Zion, Utah was a great way to get my mind off things for a few days. During the day my mind was completely clear of my brother who was back at the hospital recovering from six brain surgeries and severe aphasia, apraxia and hemispatial neglect. However, nighttime was a whole different story. All I dreamed about was wheelchairs, rehabilitative therapy and hospital beds. Definitely more of nightmares than dreams!

For only being gone for three days, I sure missed out on a lot. During the drive home from Zion, once I got back into cell service, I read a text from a friend saying, "Did you see the videos your mom posted?" No, of course I didn't. "Oh, they're of Trevor walking on his own." WHAT? My heart dropped. Apparently the prayers are working because Trevor no longer requires somebody to pull his right leg forward for him anymore. He can now walk with just a cane, a shoe on his left foot, a grippy hospital sock on the right and somebody holding onto that pastel gait belt around his waist!

How is he all of the sudden able to do this? Well, after a practice run, the doctors shot him up with Lidocaine in order to numb the muscles in his right leg. Apparently Trevor's two doctors came in, messed around with a bunch of electrodes and a needle, and then the doctor said "OK, now let's inject the other leg." "Why the other leg?" my mom asks. Dr. Elephant (or whatever his name is) replies, "Did you see which leg I put it in? I'm so sorry." Hey, it's cool Doc, everyone makes mistakes! Bad news is Trevor's left leg was unnecessarily numb for a few hours. Good news is I'm pretty sure the doctor will be bending over backwards for Trevor now that he feels so badly about his big uh-oh.

The doctors watched Trevor try, and fail, to walk before this procedure. Then they watched him try, and SUCCEED, afterwards. They looked upon their patient like they had just performed a miracle. And ever since then, he's been able to pull his right leg through and walk with little assistance!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! Way to go Trevor! We keep cheering for you from MN!

    ReplyDelete