Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Today is officially the 2-week mark. Quote from my mother: "I think I can handle about 2 weeks, 1 day of this. Tomorrow, I'ma 'splode." I agree 100%. Definitely going to 'splode soon.

The doctor came in to tell us that they are removing the stitches and cerebrospinal fluid drain today, which is great news. I'm sure it will be super relieving for Trevor because they both constantly agitate him. I think I'm still holding a grudge against the doctor for him saying yesterday that Trevor will probably be disabled enough to be on Medicare, and that that's the good news. You know, I'm honestly trying to see his perspective here, but how in the world is that good news?

Trevor is being transfered from the NCCU (Neuro Critical Care Unit) to Inpatient Rehab here at the University hospital tomorrow!

We went and checked out the rehab facility. The only word I can think of to describe it is depressing. It made me realize what these next few months are going to entail, and I am not excited about it. I am definitely not looking forward to spending more of my life in an ugly, out-of-date, poorly decorated, colorless rehab center with plastic-covered furniture and terrible artwork. And that's just the looks of the place, not even mentioning all the people here. Everyone appears to be unhappy and depressed. It's scary looking around at a bunch of patients in wheelchairs who cannot walk or talk. I'm not yet at the point where I can categorize my brother with all of these people. I am NOT having fun anymore!

I think the resolution for all of this is to go on vacation for a few months, and come back when everything is settled and back to normal. Why hasn't anybody invented rehabilitation cruises yet? It would be absolutely perfect. We could be miserable and depressed half the time and then enjoying ourselves and relaxing in the sun for the other half. It's genius, really...

The physical therapists informed us that Trevor will not be walking today. Remind me again why we were instructed to bring his tennis shoes?

The speech therapist, Doug, came in to oversee Trevor eating his first meal on the new purée diet. Apparently he kept purposefully placing spoonfuls of food on the side of his mouth, above his mouth, etc. to determine Trevor's tongue movement. How annoying would that be? Being 22 years old with another man feeding you, but not even putting the food in your mouth? Yeah, that's just cruel. However, I totally think we should send in a picture of Trevor and apply him for the Gerber baby-food logo.

After this feeding fiasco, Doug let Trevor play the bubble game on his iPad. This required Trevor to poke the bubbles and pop them with his index finger. Easy. Then Doug told him to point to the "E" and the "D." Nope, that didn't happen. Priorities!

I guess my only question at this point is whether or not Trevor's new titanium bone flap replacement is going to be bulletproof...

No comments:

Post a Comment