Saturday, February 5, 2011

Nothing like a basket of puppies to lighten up the mood before blogging about my brother who is in a coma for the second time this year...


If the expression "no news is good news" applies to brain injuries then so far, so good. Knowing Trevor, I think he's just waiting for the perfect time, when nobody is expecting it (most likely at 5:00 AM, when we're all trying to finally get some sleep for the night) to wake up in full-blown toddler mode, fighting to pull out his catheter and do 360's in bed.


The one thing I've found with Trevor is that he's not a big fan of regressing, conforming or doing what he's expected to do. He will stay stable and consistent for a while and then BLAOW!, progress like crazy and blow everyone's minds. Hopefully that's the case again this time. On the other hand, "slow and steady to win the race" is also fine by me!


RECAP FROM LAST NIGHT:


My friend Brad, the nurse who traveled on the medical plane from Lander to Salt Lake City with Trevor, came in to talk to us today. He said that the flight to Lander took an hour and a half because of winds but that the flight back to SLC took only 45 minutes. The one thing that was incredibly reassuring to hear was that for a small hospital, Lander did everything surprisingly right. They administered Trevor the three correct doses of the three correct medications to keep him stable and moving forward. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the fact that they were in constant communication with the University hospital, but still great news!


Paraphrasing my sweet sweet mother, Trevor's nurse gave him some pretty potent medicine last night to make him you-know-what. Can you imagine being a grown-ass man in a room with your mother, wearing a dress, paralyzed on one side, strapped down on the other, and having to do your business? How demeaning. Well, we were both in Trevor's room when his blood pressure sky-rocketed and he got the poopy face. That's when I dipped out. Trevor started doing the squirm that all moms recognize. She said to him, “Trev, I'm going to leave the room so you can do it right in your bed and then I'll have a nurse clean you up.” The minute Woo thought she was gone, he struggled really hard but managed to open both eyes. It was like he was checking to see if the coast was clear, then immediately was bound and determined to get his hand out of the strap. The rest of the story is none of your business.


Also this morning, Man-nurse McGee let my mom untie Trev's wrists from the bed. The first thing he did was reach over with his left arm to feel his right arm. There's no way of knowing if that actually means anything or not, but the fact that he took the initiative to feel his right arm, the one that might be paralyzed, is heart-wrenching to me. It's almost like he's starting to realize what's up...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I am so sorry you're going through this again. I just read your whole blog and I feel bad for all of you! Crazy Trevor, he sure knows how to live! I wish it were a little safer but safe can be so boring. I have a very ill brother right now who's prognosis is not good and I can feel your pain of seeing your brother and family suffer. It really sucks. We are doing our best to make sure he is as comfortable as he can be and I think he really feels the love and care we surround him with. I'm sure Trevor knows it too as he's already witnessed it! Well, take care and hang in there. We are all pulling for you guys! Love, Deezle's mom (Jeannie Depoian) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeannie! We really do have an incredible support system here, and all your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete