Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm sure none of you younger folks are familiar with this guy but he is Mark Spitz, a US Olympic swimmer from the 70's. Trevor's doctor, Dr. Speed (Dr. Speedo or "Stache" as we call him) looks exactly like this. He's the one who wants to put Trevor on every drug possible during this recovery.

We googled Trevor's other doctor, Dr. Richard Schmidt and what did we come up with? Oh, well Dr. Schmidt was charged for injecting his ex-wife with Hepatitis C and AIDS. Wrong Dr. Schmidt. Phew!!

All of the doctors and nurses keep thinking Trevor is really tall when they look at him. An average guess is about 6 foot. Weird because he's actually like 5' 8" or 5' 9".

Believe it or not, I'm actually a little jealous of Trevor right now. You see, as my weight goes up from eating my emotions and boredom, his weight goes down. We now weigh almost the exact same amount. I don't know who should be more embarrassed, but I'm guessing it's probably me.

YESTERDAY 2/19

Being in the rehab unit of the hospital, Trevor has 2 45-minute sessions of physical, speech and occupational therapy each day. In case you can't do the math yourself, that's 4.5 hours of rehab per day, which is a lot for sweet little sleepy Woo. He is absolutely exhausted.

He fell asleep while the physical therapists were trying to stretch him. He did, however, manage to stay awake to play a few minutes of catch with Walker during PT. He probably threw and caught the beanbag about 1/5 of the time. Maybe my whole family is pessimistic and has low hopes for Trevor, but we were all really impressed by this.

His occupational therapy session was a little bit less successful, not to his fault at all. The OT came in with nothing prepared to do with Trevor. He had the courage to tell my mom that everyone in this unit has experience with brain injuries except him; he is just here to learn. In my opinion, Trevor is an exceptionally lucky and serious case. Our goal is not for the therapists to learn from Trevor, but for Trevor to progress. Just sayin'!

[Photo]: During day 18 (which would be today) of the first rodeo, Trevor walked from his hospital room down to the rooms we were sleeping in. He crawled into the retro twin-sized hospital bed with me and then told me to get out. Later that day, Trevor asked Walker what they were going to do about insurance. Yup, this rodeo is on a whole new level of progression, ups, downs and obstacles.

TODAY

Today during physical therapy, he was able to hold himself sitting up for 30 seconds before falling over. Comparing this to the fact that he was walking and talking at this point last time is not so reassuring.

The one thing that is reassuring to me is his ability to take down apple juices, just like the first rodeo!

Trevor is no longer on 1:1 bedside aide. He has an infrared camera in his room and there is somebody constantly watching the monitor to make sure nothing happens. I have picked my nose at least 20 times today not thinking anybody was watching...

So, you saw the picture on the last post of Trevor's indented head, right? The one where it looks like you could eat a bowl of soup off of his dome? Well, today his head is completely normal shaped, like yours or mine. You'd think that'd be a good thing, but the fact that it swelled up that much is really scary to me. The nurse even admitted that it's rare for a bone flap removal to swell up that significantly during the 18th day after surgery. He has had a high temperature, red cheeks and the shivers all day. When the nurse told him to squeeze her hand if he was in pain, he squeezed the s%#! out of it. Yes, he's in pain!! I asked for the doctor to come look at it; the nurse said he would in the morning. I asked for a CT scan; the nurse said she would call for one in the morning. The morning, are you kidding me? That's a good 8 hours away, if not more. So right now I'm sitting here watching Trevor be miserable, twisting and turning and making moaning noises in bed while I'm freaking out, worried about what could possibly be wrong. Great!

1 comment: