Monday, February 7, 2011

Just hangin out. He loves letting that left foot dangle.

Alright, so I feel like a pessimistic jerk for ever thinking that Trevor was paralyzed on that right side. He was just trying to scare us a little, keep us on the edge of our seats. Today he has been extremely alert. The doctors came in and squeezed Trevor's arm. He moved his right arm towards the pain. Then they squeezed his right leg. He moved his right leg away from the pain. He is doing all sorts of crazy tricks on command, like opening up his eyes, squeezing his left hand and lifting his legs and arms. He can't do thumbs-up or hold up two fingers yet, but last time he couldn't do that until he was talking so I think we're okay...

He kept lifting up his left leg, straightening it, bending it and then putting it back down. Over and over again. For hours. I figured maybe this meant he wanted his sock off, so I took it off. He kept doing it. I figured maybe this meant he wanted his circulatory cuff off, so I took it off. He kept doing it. I figured maybe this meant he wanted to stretch out his legs, so I took the pillow off the bed. He kept doing it. I figured maybe this meant he wanted to be moved up in bed, so I had the nurses move him up. He kept doing it. He's still doing it...

The nurse set some gauze by his hand to do who knows what. He picked up the gauze, wiped his chin for a few seconds and then laid it on his neck. A little bit weird and Turrets-ish but definitely goes to show that his hand-eye (or rather finger-eye) coordination is on point.

According to the doctors, Trevor is currently in surgery getting a vena cava filter to prevent blood clots from traveling to the wrong places. Can blood clots travel the right places? Regardless, it is an easy surgery that most trauma patients go through. After he's out of surgery, they are taking his ventilator out. Let me repeat myself: THEY ARE TAKING OUT THE VENT. Such great news!!!

Trevor: 2, Death: 0. He is the poster child for "Do really dumb shit because nothing's gunna happen."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa - Thank you so very much for writing this blog. I stalked FB during the 1st rodeo, and this is much nicer :). Your updates are incredible. I can only imagine what you and your family continue to experience with the one and only Trevor. Believing, trusting, waiting, hoping and praying for your entire family.... Trish Fischer (Kyle's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same as Trish today. I have been following your blog everyday for updates. Thank you for doing this. Your brother and family are always in our thoughts and prayers. Nicole Vale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa,
    My mom went to high school with your dad and she emailed me about Trevor and included this blog link. I remember his first accident and we were all praying for him and I'm continuing to do so now. I've been following the blog everyday. He sounds like such a strong person.I have a little brother that is my best friend and I can only imagine what you are going through. You guys are all incredibly strong and I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
    Sarah Vanas

    ReplyDelete